Sunday, August 7, 2011

Eat to Live


I know I said I'd do my apartment post today, but instead I'd like to address something I've been meaning to post for a while. I'm not trying to persuade anyone or say that any train of thought is wrong, but simply state what's been on my mind and the major lifestyle change I made about 2 weeks ago.

As some of you may know, my husband is a raw foodist. He only eats fruits, vegetables, and nuts that have been unprocessed and are in their natural state, not altered by heat or chemicals in any way. It was extremely challenging for us as a couple, because I really couldn't understand why he was so extreme! I would get mad because he didn't want to eat out at restaurants with me, so I didn't even WANT to go to places because I didn't eat alone, we would fight because I was mad that I couldn't cook us meals, blah blah blah. Eventually, once we were moved in to our new place, we got into a groove. I learned to cook for one, but I was still upset I couldn't make some of the stuff I wanted to make, and LORD KNOWS this meat-eating girl didn't want to eat gross vegetarian/vegan/raw recipes. They always creeped me out, but maybe it's because I grew up with my dad constantly mocking PETA & calling them "People Eating Tasty Animals."

Flash forward to two weeks ago. Our local cinema, which is conveniently a two minute walk from our apartment, was playing, for one night only, a documentary called "Forks Over Knives." The movie describes how we are, for a lack of better words, sicker than ever. We are the most obese country in the nation, cancer rates are at an all-time high, and heart disease and diabetes are skyrocketing. What's changed? What's happened to us?

"Forks Over Knives" explores that these degenerative diseases can be prevented, controlled, even reversed by a controlled diet. They follow several people, almost on their deathbeds from these diseases, as they switch to a whole-food, plant-based diet. The results are undoubtably astonishing. I highly recommend watching the entire film if you are interested.

My point: Since that night, I have not eaten meat. I've seen the facts, done my research, and decided that a vegetarian lifestyle is for me. I'm going to try to eat vegan when possible, but right now it is too extreme for me to give up my milkshakes and queso dip! The transition has been surprisingly easy, and Patrick & I have been able to bond over it. Patrick will even eat the vegetarian dishes I eat (cooked or raw), because since they are vegan or vegetarian, he doesn't mind cheating a little every now and then!

2 comments:

Puff's Mommy said...

Cheese dip... I applaud you guys for doing it together. I tried going veg once, but my mom didn't listen and made hot dogs for dinner. Yep, that worked out well. I think we're going to go more veg here, but we really don't eat that much meat. Oh, and if you find/hear about any good restaurants, let me know, Thrifty Wednesdays don't always have to end in Plaza.

Sea Bird said...

I missed Forks over Knives when it played at the art house theatre that I work at, but it's on my Netflix queue. Looked like a really great and important documentary. I'm a vegetarian and my husband just started going gluten-free so while we're not quite raw foodists, we still do our best to eat healthy. I think it makes a huge difference.